Are you an email marketing rock star? Jeanniey Mullen asked the same question to an SES Conference panel last week and defined what makes and breaks email marketing campaigns.
- Know why your consumer should sign up for your emails
- Use intrigue versus incentive
- Build up “reverse preferences” (track what people do and don’t do)
- Run subject line tests
- Use social media to drive up open rates
- Use Web designers
- Use a clear call-to-action
- Keep important content/messages above the fold
- Respect image blocking and the preview pane
- Render tests
- Create an iron-clad email process with tasks, individuals, and days of the week associated with each milestone
- Run a test with every send and (this is key) share your results with your stakeholders for short-term viability; archive them for long-term learnings
Also, prior to sending any campaign, you should ask yourself three questions:
- What is this email about?
- Why do my subscribers care?
- [If they care,] what can they do about it?
Mullen’s suggestions are a definite wake-up call to businesses in an email marketing “funk”.
If you’re not constantly on your toes when it comes to innovative email campaigns, odds are your clients are following suit.
Does your email marketing deserve a-list status? If not, consider a different approach for your email marketing.